an amsterdamian friday.

So after an awesome weekend with Toby and Tim in Amsterdam, I am back to classes. I keep thinking about things that I want to post, but I get lazy by the time I get home from classes, and then I need to cook dinner, and then I spend time eating and what not… And the list of things to post starts to pile up.

But I figure that I should probably finish Amsterdam while it’s still fresh. I still owe an entire week when I was in Munich…!

I’ve come to the conclusion that I probably take to many photos. It makes life difficult when I have to pick and choose which photos to post on the blog.

Friday 10th September

Friday was a bit of a grey day. It rained a bit, but we spent a good part of the day indoors, so it wasn’t too bad.

Amsterdam is a lovely city and quite reminds me of Copenhagen with all its canals and water everywhere.

one of the many canals.

We ended up buying the I Amsterdam Card which served us well that day, as well as for transport the next day.

First stop was the Van Gogh Museum. Traipsed around looking at all the paintings. I was kind of excited to see the newly restored The Bedroom, having looked at it in Year 6 as part of ‘art’ classes and then having to recreate it. Seeing the real deal was something else entirely. No photos were to be taken inside though, which I don’t really understand on one hand, since you can very well just find a billion pictures on the internet anyway… But I guess they do end up making money on the postcards they sell at the gift shop. They also made money from me, buying a bust of Van Gogh himself, in eraser form. I found it rather strange though that there was no mention anywhere of what we started to call The Incident. It was as if the whole event of Van Gogh cutting of his ear was entirely taboo at the place. They do mention that he checked himself into a mental institution, but seriously, you’d think that cutting off one’s ear would be a pretty important event in one’s life…?

van gogh museum.

proof that i was inside. :)

Then it was next door to the Rijksmuseum. We got to see a lot of Rembrandts, which was pretty cool, because I remember doing a speech in primary school about him (goodness knows why) so it was nice to see the real things. There was also a lot of other random artwork, pottery, weapons, and the odd dollhouse or two. Again, no photography…

the rijksmuseum.

After that we began to make our way to NEMO, near-ish to Amsterdam Centraal. I have to say, I did a lot a lot of walking this weekend! That day especially!

some amsterdamian sights.

(Wiki just told me that some of the canals in Amsterdam were recently listed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in July. I didn’t know that and I think that is super cool!)

Of course, as we began our trek, it began to rain. Hunger ensued and Toby and Tim introduced me to Febo, a fast food chain here in the Netherlands. It works much like a vending machine. You put your coins in, then open up the door and voilà! You have your food!


A ‘kalfsvleeskroket’, ‘grillburger’, chocolate milkshake, and a handful of chips later, and we were ready to roll again.

However, we continued to get distracted along the way. There was also the not photographed game store, where Toby and Tim were like kids in a candy store. We were in a bit of a rush though, since Nemo closed at 5, and we wanted a decent amount of time to spend there. So we rushed along.

cheese, construction, chinese restaurant.

And finally we saw her. NEMO, the interactive science museum, built in the shape of a boat, complete with pirate ship in the frontyard.


There were lots of really interesting sections inside. I’m a little sad that we didn’t get more time to muck around more. Lol.

a little of what we DID do.

I post the picture of the man-operated lift to tell the embarrassing story of how I got a lump on my head.

Or not. It did lead to a little bit of crazy moodswings on my part though, and I can promise you that it was not induced by the local produce.

After NEMO, and a bit of a backtrack to the game store again, we decided to take advantage of the not-rain and head on down to the canal cruise. It was looking good and empty… until an entire tour group joined our boat and filled up every inch of the space. I probably over did the pictures on the cruise, but it was awesome nonetheless… even if we did feel a little jipped because (a) everything was on the left of the boat, while we were all sitting on the right; and (b) we do not believe we saw 100 attractions as advertised.

a little bit of the canal cruise.

After the cruise it was getting close to dinnertime, despite the deceptively still bright skies, albeit still cloudy. We walked around being indecisive before finally deciding on an Italian place at Rembrandtplein. (I only just now realised that we ate dinner at Rembrandtplein every night!)

on the walk to find dinner.

DON’T TOUCH THE CAT. We saw this sign and multiple others saying the same thing in this one souvenir store. We spent a while searching for said cat but to no avail. We did not find a cat, and thus were made thoroughly confused. WHAT DID IT MEAN???

pasta alla pesto and bitter lemon. :)

And so ended the Friday. That took longer than expected. It’s time for migoreng right now. :)


  • Trackback are closed
  • Comments (4)
    • rach
    • September 17th, 2010

    omg! vending machines! was it good tasting? haha so weiiird!
    and what happened with the lift! i wanna know! lol.

      • misselty
      • September 29th, 2010

      yeah they were actually pretty good! and cheapish so that’s always fun too. :)

    • shanaya
    • October 2nd, 2010

    i had a really long comment on this! where’d it go?!

      • misselty
      • October 2nd, 2010

      nope. you didn’t post. i searched gmail and there was nos sign that you had posted. xD

Comments are closed.
%d bloggers like this: